Deep cleaning a house varies based on several factors, including the size of the home, the number of occupants, and the level of cleaning required. However, on average, it may take between 6 to 12 hours to deep clean a house.
A deep clean involves thorough cleaning of every nook and cranny of the home, including hard-to-reach places like the ceiling and baseboards. It requires dusting, vacuuming, washing, and sanitizing all surfaces. Additionally, it may involve decluttering and organizing spaces like closets, cabinets, and drawers.
A clean home not only looks and smells better but also promotes better health and wellbeing. Deep cleaning may be done on a regular schedule, such as quarterly or bi-annually, to maintain a healthy and comfortable living environment.
Factors Affecting The Time Taken To Deep Clean A House
Deep cleaning a house is a task that requires time and effort, depending on several factors. It is easy to underestimate the time you’ll need to thoroughly clean your space. However, if you have a plan and take into account the variables, it can be less daunting.
Here are the key factors affecting the time taken to deep clean a house.
Size Of The House
Cleaning a small house or apartment won’t take as long as cleaning a large house or multi-story building. If you have a larger house or more spacious apartment, it’s essential to plan for more time. Here are the key points to consider:
- A small house (~1000 square feet) can take around 3-5 hours to deep clean.
- A medium-sized house (~2000 square feet) can take around 5-7 hours to deep clean.
- A larger house or multi-story building (~3500+ square feet) can take up to two days or more to deep clean.
- It is relevant to note that these estimates may vary according to the different types of rooms and depending on the size of the bathrooms.
Number Of Rooms And Bathrooms
The number of rooms and bathrooms in your house or apartment affects the cleaning time. Here are the key points to consider:
- A standard 1-2 bedroom apartment or home can take 3-4 hours to deep clean.
- A property with 3-4 bedrooms can take up to 5-7 hours.
- A large house with 5+ bedrooms can take upwards of 8-10 hours or more.
- The number of bathrooms also impacts the time taken to deep clean a house. Each bathroom may take 30 to 60 minutes, depending on its state.
Level Of Clutter
Cluttered spaces take longer to clean as compared to tidy ones. If you have piles of clutter or unnecessary items in your house or in each room, take into account extra time to clear out before starting the deep cleaning.
Here are the key points to consider:
- A tidy house can take less time to deep clean than a cluttered one.
- To clean a cluttered house, factor in around 20-30 minutes per room to declutter before deep cleaning.
- Consider sorting and organizing things into three piles: Keep, donate, and throw away.
- Hire a cleaning company for help with clutter assistance, and get a fresh start from there.
Level Of Dirt And Grime
Dirt and grime accumulation can slow down the deep cleaning process. The dirtier a house is, the longer it will take to clean. Here are the key points to consider:
- If you haven’t deep cleaned in a while, it can take extra time to remove dirt and grime.
- Depending on the severity of the dirt accumulated, it may take up to an hour per room to clean dirty surfaces, such as kitchen counters and floors.
- You can cut down cleaning time by sweeping the floors and wiping them periodically, so you avoid a buildup of dirt and grime on the floors.
- Hire professional cleaning services to deep clean if the dirt and grime are impossible to handle.
Presence Of Pets
If you’re a pet owner, deep cleaning with pets around can take longer because pets tend to shed and make messes. Here are the key points to consider:
- If you have pets, plan to spend extra time cleaning to remove hair and messes.
- Pet hair removal may take up to 30-60 minutes per room, depending on the pet’s shedding.
- If you have a lot of pet hair in your house, use a lint brush or a good quality vacuum to clean them.
- Consider hiring cleaning professionals who specialize in pet-hair removal.
Tips To Speed Up The Deep Cleaning Process
Deep cleaning a house can be a daunting task, especially when you have a busy schedule. However, with the right methods, you can accomplish it quickly. Here are some tips to speed up the deep cleaning process.
Declutter Before Starting The Cleaning Process
Before starting the cleaning process, ensure that your home is free of clutter. Decluttering will make cleaning more manageable and less time-consuming. Here are some ways to declutter your home:
- Sort items by category i.e., clothes, shoes, books, and kitchen utensils
- Dispose of what you no longer need or want
- Donate what you no longer need or want to charity
- Recycle what is recyclable
Use A Checklist To Keep Track Of Tasks
Using a checklist will help you keep track of your cleaning tasks and ensure you don’t forget anything. Here is how to create a checklist:
- List tasks to be completed in each room
- Number the tasks according to their importance
- Check each task once it’s completed
Use Multitasking Techniques
Multitasking can save you time and effort during cleaning. Here are some multitasking techniques:
- Clean the toilet bowl while you leave the bleach soaking in the bathtub
- Allow windows to dry while you work on another task
- Dust the furniture while you wait for cleaning products to soak
Divide The Cleaning Process Into Smaller Tasks
Dividing deep cleaning into smaller tasks can make it more manageable. This approach will enable you to tackle tasks as you have time and energy. Here are some small tasks examples:
- Cleaning the fridge and freezer in one day
- Dusting your house’s blinds
- Organizing your pantry
Use The Right Cleaning Tools And Products
Using the appropriate tools and products can save you time and money while you clean. Here are some tips:
- Make sure you have all necessary cleaning equipment and materials
- Use multi-purpose cleaning products to save money and time
- Use natural products if you want a chemical-free environment.
Deep cleaning your home can be quick and straightforward if you follow the above tips. Now that you know how long it would take to deep clean a house, take action and implement these tips to reduce your cleaning time while still maintaining spotless and tidy spaces.
Step-By-Step Guide To Deep Cleaning A House
Deep cleaning your house can be a daunting task, but with the right planning and approach, it can be done efficiently and effectively. In this step-by-step guide, we will explore the best ways to deep clean your house, focusing on key areas such as the kitchen, bathrooms, living areas, and bedrooms.
Before you start your deep cleaning process, it’s important to prepare appropriately. Here are some key steps to follow:
- Make a cleaning schedule that breaks down which rooms you will clean and when. This will ensure that you don’t miss anything and can stay on track.
- Gather all the necessary cleaning supplies, including gloves, cleaning agents, sponges, rags, and a vacuum cleaner.
- Vacuum or sweep all of the floors, and empty all trash cans in the house.
- Open all windows to allow for ventilation and fresh air.
Cleaning The Kitchen
The kitchen is often one of the most heavily used areas of the house and requires special attention when cleaning. Here’s how to deep clean your kitchen:
- Remove all items from the counters and clean them thoroughly.
- Wipe down all appliances, including the fridge, stove, and dishwasher.
- Clean the stove and oven thoroughly, including the burners, oven door, and broiler pan.
- Scrub the sink and wipe down all surfaces.
- Clean all cabinets both inside and out.
Cleaning The Bathrooms
Bathrooms can be one of the most challenging areas to clean, but with the right approach, they can be sparkling clean in no time. Here are the key steps for deep cleaning your bathrooms:
- Clean the shower and bathtub thoroughly, including scrubbing the grout and tiles.
- Scrub the sink and wipe down all surfaces.
- Clean the toilet thoroughly, including the bowl, tank, and seat.
- Wipe down all mirrors and glass surfaces.
- Mop the floor thoroughly.
Cleaning The Living Areas
Living rooms, family rooms, and other common areas of the house require attention to detail when deep cleaning. Here are some key steps:
- Clean all surfaces, including coffee tables, side tables, and bookshelves
- Vacuum and wipe down all furniture and upholstery.
- Dust all surfaces, including lamps, blinds, and curtains.
- Clean all windows and glass surfaces.
- Vacuum or mop the floors thoroughly.
Cleaning The Bedrooms
A clean bedroom is essential for a good night’s sleep. Here are the key steps to follow when cleaning your bedrooms.
- Strip all bedding and wash all linens, including sheets, pillowcases, and comforters.
- Dust all surfaces, including dressers, nightstands, and lamps.
- Organize all clothing and remove any clutter.
- Vacuum or mop the floors thoroughly.
- Clean all mirrors and glass surfaces.
By following this step-by-step guide, you will have a deep clean house in no time. Remember to stay organized, gather all necessary supplies, and break up the cleaning into manageable chunks for the best results.
Frequently Asked Questions On How Long To Deep Clean A House
How Long Does It Take To Deep Clean A House?
It depends on the size of the house and the level of cleaning required. Typically, it can take anywhere from 2 hours to 8 hours to deep clean a house.
How Often Should I Deep Clean My House?
It is recommended to deep clean your house once every 3 to 6 months. However, this may vary depending on factors such as the number of occupants in the house and the level of cleanliness.
What Is Included In A Deep House Cleaning?
A deep house cleaning typically includes tasks such as washing walls, cleaning blinds and curtains, scrubbing floors, dusting ceiling fans, and cleaning appliances such as ovens and refrigerators.
Do I Need To Declutter Before A Deep Clean?
Yes, it is recommended to declutter before a deep clean as clutter can make cleaning more difficult. Getting rid of unnecessary items can also help to prevent the accumulation of dirt and dust in the future.
Can I Deep Clean My House Myself Or Should I Hire A Professional?
You can deep clean your house yourself if you have the time and necessary cleaning supplies. However, if you want a thorough and efficient cleaning, it might be better to hire a professional cleaning service.
After going through this detailed guide on how long it takes to deep clean a house, you now have a better understanding of what it takes to have a sparkling clean home. Keep in mind that the duration of time it takes to deep clean a house can vary depending on factors like the size of the house, the level of dirt and clutter, and the cleaning equipment used.
It’s important to note that a well-deep cleaned house can have many benefits, including improved air quality, enhanced aesthetic appeal, and reduced stress levels. Remember, deep cleaning your house doesn’t have to be overwhelming or time-consuming. With a well-organized plan and a willingness to collaborate with others, you can make your house shine in no time.
So why not start your deep cleaning journey today and enjoy a fresh, clean and healthy living space?